Monday, August 4, 2008

Utica, New York

We are currently just outside Utica, NY, in a KOA campground across the street from the Herkimer Diamond Mine. I’m sure no diamonds are mined here, but there apparently is a quartz quarry and tourist trap complete with prospecting excursions and a jewelry store selling real diamonds, mined elsewhere. We’ll have to check it out.

I grew up not far from here in New Hartford. My mother, who is nearly 90, is in a long term care facility run by the Masons. Despite having suffered a fractured hip in September, and being forced into the nursing home by her children (mainly me), against her will, she is thriving. In fact, she looks downright marvelous! We’re going to bring her over here tomorrow for lunch because our campsite is right against West Canada Creek, has a nice concrete patio, a barbecue, comfy chairs, and a lawn swing. She’ll enjoy getting out and the nice setting.

We'll be here until Thursday, and will get to see my other sister, Helen, and her family and are lo0king forward to that.

Because of connection problems last night, I didn't get to describe my feelings about this region completely. Some of the remarks I made about upstate NY cities could use some clarification. I know for sure that Rome and Utica have declined significantly. I am not as familiar with Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo. And I do know that Rochester has a thriving arts scene. So, I may have been off base. But Utica just sad. Even though it looks great when it’s green and everyone has impatiens and begonias planted in their yards, the downtown area is completely dead. If you come here in the winter, you'll know what I mean.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh yes, Herkimer Diamond Mines! I hope you had fun. :-)

New Hartford, huh? I'm from Clinton. Spent a lot of time in New Hartford during Christmas in the early/mid 80's since I was in Scrooge.

Enjoy the rest of your trip! And if you're traveling in the RV in Hagerstown, MD or Wytheville, VA, check out the KOA's in those areas. We love them both! We have a pop-up and enjoy camping quite a bit. We're going to Wytheville this weekend, as a matter of fact! Hagerstown over Labor Day.

Jean and Steve Kammerer said...

Thanks, Kim. Yes, I grew up in New Hartford. Graduated from New Hartford High in 1964. We, in fact, were in Southeastern PA for a couple of days, and then had our trailer serviced in Hagerstown! We are currently in Harper's Fery KOA!

Anonymous said...

Wow. My mother graduated from New Hartford in 1962...I bet you know her! Glad you're having a great trip...love reading about everything!

Mary said...

Hi, Jean - I'm Kim's mom. She told me about your blog. This is something my husband has wanted to do for years. I'm not too crazy about the idea. I like to stay put. However, your pictures are awesome! Absolutely beautiful!!

Oh, and you're right on target about Utica. I love this area, and it is beautiful. But it is so dead. So much to offer and no one (who can) to do anything about it.

Jean and Steve Kammerer said...

Hi Mary.

Thanks for reading. We've been without internet for a few days, so I'm just getting caught up. I lived on Merritt Place in New Hartford - near the Utica Mutual Insurance Company. My mother is now in Masonic Home.

When we first left home I kept feeling like we should get back there - you know - like when you're on vacation and you're ready to go home. Now I could stay out on the road indefinitely. I really like it.

Mary said...

My husband and I used to work at Utica Mutual. I lived on Campion Rd., a short walk from New York Mills. We probably knew some of the same people.

Enjoy the trip. And keep taking those wonderful pictures.

Jean and Steve Kammerer said...

Hi Mary,

We might know the same people, but its been a long time. I did know some people in the class of 63, but I can't think of anyone in the class of 62. Was Paul Steppenback in your class? I wasn't real popular or famous for anything in highschool. We had a nice little group of friends, but they were mostly class-mates.

I loved highschool and had a ball, and have recently have re-connected with a few people.